ARCADE is a patented spatial audio codec that allows encoding scene-based 3D audio over stereo with no additional metadata required. It allows encoding sources with height in a fully spherical manner. Its decoder is virtually able to decode to any 3D or 2D audio format, e.g. first-order or higher-order spherical harmonics ( FOA, HOA), VBAP, Surround-matrixed, Binaural with or without head-tracking etc. The decoder also works as an upmixer for any stereo content, to any of the formats it can decode to.
ARCADE is backward compatible:
- with supports: CD, Cassette, Vinyl…
- with compression formats: Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AAC…
- with hardware: Jack, optical… and broadcast: TV, FM Radio…
ARCADE is content compatible:
- Stereo compatibility
- Partial Surround-matrixed compatibility
- Upmix any stereo content to 3D or 2D formats
ARCADE is suitable for a wide range of applications:
- Rendering multiple 3D formats from the same audio asset: home-theater, personalized binaural with headtracking etc.
- Embedded decoding in-the-headphone: head-tracked, personalized binauralization from a stereo analog stream
- 360 video or audio distribution
- VR/AR game engines: sound asset storage, 3D rendering…
- Telecom, Telepresence, Teleconference
UPDATE: free ARCADE technology demonstration tools are now available, see this page.